Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS -> Ubuntu 19.04

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 16 12:32:15 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 02:16:42PM +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> What I'm not sure about: Is a KDE version contained in Ubuntu (no "K"),
> or is it only in Kubuntu? I don't want to give it up completely. At
> least there are some KDE programs which I want to keep using.

Ubuntu Desktop [1] and Kubuntu are both part of the same Ubuntu package
archive.  The released images preinstall different sets of packages from
that archive, but each has the same archive available on installed
systems.

Put differently: the Ubuntu Desktop images don't contain KDE, but an
installed Ubuntu Desktop system can install KDE-based packages just as
an installed Kubuntu system can.  Many Ubuntu Desktop users use the odd
KDE-based package, just as they use any of a wide variety of other
packages that aren't actually part of the base installation.

[1] I'm clarifying this in a way that would normally be a bit pedantic,
    as unmarked "Ubuntu" can be used to refer to either the "flagship"
    desktop and server editions, or to the package archive (or indeed
    project) as a whole.