Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS -> Ubuntu 19.04

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sun Jun 16 12:16:42 UTC 2019

Am Sonntag, den 16.06.2019, 12:23 +0200 schrieb Liam Proven:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 22:28, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm about to say KDE goodbye, and switch to Gnome3.
>
> Why?
>
> What do you hope to achieve?

I've been a KDE user for many years, but I've finally come to the
conclusion that it's - still! - too buggy and unstable. I finally want
a system that "just works". I don't want to spend my time fighting with
bugs. Just take a look at the kdepim-users mailing list...

It's a pity, since I think KDE is really good, feature-wise. If it just
worked...

> Which is upgraded every half-year as part of Ubuntu.
>

> They both are.I don't think
>
> > I don't think
>
> Did you look?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1072096/how-to-install-gnome-3-29-92-or-3-30-in-ubuntu-18-04

I've read somewhere that Gnome is released half-year wise, just like
Ubuntu. So (I think), the latest Ubuntu version always contains the
latest Gnome version.

> > This means that I have to migrate from my 18.04.2 LTS system to the
> > newest Ubuntu version.
>
> Why are you obsessing over the latest GNOME if you use KDE?

As I've written: I want do switch to Gnome.

I've used Gnome for some week now, and it *just works*. It's the Gnome
version which comes with Kubuntu 18.04.

> > Can this be done with do-release-upgrade or something like that? I
> > really don't want to set up everything from scratch _again_.
> > There's a
> > lot to setup.
>
> Are you running a separate /home filesystem?

No.

> You should.
>
> If you do, you can dual boot them & share a home directory between
> Kubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME.

It's perfectly possible to run Gnome and KDE side-by-side in the same
system. That's what I'me doing right now. No dual boot necessary.

> Replying to the root message as there's some very confused (& some
> bad) advice later in the thread and I do not feel like trying to
> clarify/rectify it all.

I think I will take the trouble and setup a new, clean Ubuntu 19.04.

What I'm not sure about: Is a KDE version contained in Ubuntu (no "K"),
or is it only in Kubuntu? I don't want to give it up completely. At
least there are some KDE programs which I want to keep using.

I guess I could use the Kubuntu PPAs in order to get Kubuntu programs
in Ubuntu, but is this supported?

Bye,
Volker