Request for explanation of error message

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 29 23:08:45 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 06:21:09AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 30/07/2019, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > hi,

> >> This may be relevant,
> >>
> >> https://askubuntu.com/questions/771899/pcie-bus-error-severity-
> >> corrected
> >
> > well, this points to:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1521173
> >
> > which has a lot of debug info and potential things to try ...
> >

> I was previously referred to an "ask ubuntu" forum web page with a
> question and solutions relating to this, and, I changed the two lines
> in the grub file, to insert
> pci=nomsi
> then, whilst that stopped the growth of x-0.log , it did not stop the
> error repeating in dmesg output, so I replaced the nomsi with noaer,
> as was suggested, but, again, the same; the
> x-0.log file appears to have stopped growing, but, the error message
> is still incessantly repeating in dmesg.
>
> > yet ... bret, did you consider that a pci card simply came loose during
> > the replacement of the ram ? i think it is really suspicious that the
> > log spam started when you had your memory replaced ... the same
> > hardware worked fine without that error before so i start to doubt it
> > is actually a software error (typically such things dont come out of
> > the blue)

There are a lot of boot options related to PCI and interrupts,

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

but I'm not even sure of the architecture at this point. Hardware generates
interrupts for all kind of reasons and someone has to either respond to
it or mask it. Configuration would be a possible cause rather than
hardware problem. You could try a few others and see if anything helps
but maybe you could try turning things off,

https://askubuntu.com/questions/4546/how-do-i-turn-off-pci-devices

there is also setpci and other tools but if you don't already know
what you are doing it may take some learning.