Request for explanation of error message

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 00:43:19 UTC 2019

On 30/07/2019, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/2019, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> hi,

>>> This may be relevant,
>>>
>>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/771899/pcie-bus-error-severity-
>>> corrected
>>
>> well, this points to:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1521173
>>
>> which has a lot of debug info and potential things to try ...
>>

> I was previously referred to an "ask ubuntu" forum web page with a
> question and solutions relating to this, and, I changed the two lines
> in the grub file, to insert
> pci=nomsi
> then, whilst that stopped the growth of x-0.log , it did not stop the
> error repeating in dmesg output, so I replaced the nomsi with noaer,
> as was suggested, but, again, the same; the
> x-0.log file appears to have stopped growing, but, the error message
> is still incessantly repeating in dmesg.

Now here's a new observation.

After a while with no substantial increase in the size of the x-0.log
file, I decided to try to restore a Falkon session.

That is after a reboot, with no other web browsers running.

The x-0.log file then started growing again, at a rate of about 110MB
per 30 seconds.

I stopped it (used the "Force a misbehaving application to quit" panel
applet application with the fractured window icon), and the size of
the x-0.log file stopped growing and stayed at about 762MB.

I then restored a session of the bodgy midori browser (it turns a four
window session into 15 windows, and, opens mutiple malicious speed
dial windows, with multiple malicious speed dial tabs in them, in
addition to previous windows, and, adds malicious speed dial tabs into
windows that did not have them), and, loaded konqueror, to access
gmail.

After that, and, closing the superfluous and unwanted speed dial
windows and the superfluous and unwanted speed dial tabs in the
pre-existing windows that were wanted to be restored in midori, the
x-0.log file is still sitting at about 762MB (caja shows its size as
762.6MB), so, opening those two web browsers, did not increase the
size of the x-0.log file.

So, running Falkon appears to result in the x-0.log file eating the
system freespace; maybe, instead of being named Falkon, it should be
named PacMan.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale