copy/paste not working

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jul 22 10:40:31 UTC 2019

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> xclip -o -selection p | strings
> xclip -o -selection s | strings
> xclip -o -selection clip | strings

Or if xsel should be installed:

  xsel -p -o | strings
  xsel -s -o | strings
  xsel -b -o | strings

You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.

IOW

1. Select text from one of your Qt apps.
   Copy by the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C (for terminals it's another
   shortcut) or by a menu, e.g. a right click menu.

   Don't close the app! Some apps workaround the oddity that copying
   the selected text is done when pasting, but other apps don't, see
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence#Why_does_this_happen.3F

2. Either run xclip or xsel.

I seriously doubt that the secondary selection is used, it's more
likely that something is broken. However, even if for what reason
ever the secondary selection should be used, I doubt that somebody
knows how to fix this. I might be mistaken, perhaps it's a KDE
"feature".

If installing klipper from the official package
(https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/plasma-workspace) requires
to remove KDE apps, than the culprit might be related to the KDE
packages inconsistency.

While I'm still in favour of using parcellite, if I were you, I would
install klipper. I wouldn't use klipper, but getting rid of the
packages the plasma-workspace package dislikes and their config files
outside of HOME, might fix the issue.

I would write down or more likely use a GTK terminal (the best terminal
anyway is https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/roxterm) and parcellite to
remember the packages and then run

  sudo apt purge package_1 package_2 package_n

'purge' just in case a replacement package should use an identical
global configuration.