copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 00:46:53 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 05:31:20PM -0700, rikona wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 23:06:15 +0000
> Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 03:44:30PM -0700, rikona wrote:

> > > I installed xclip, and it verified what I seem to see. Stuff copied
> > > in falkon does not show up on the clipboard. But, it added to the
> > > mystery a bit. I have three instances of kate running. Copying from
> > > #1 instance of kate DOES show up, but copying from kate #2 or #3 DO
> > > NOT show up. If something is broken, as Ralf suggests, it is broken
> > > in a weird way...
> > >
> > > You mentioned the "right clipboard" - is there more than one? If so,
> > > what/where is it, and how can I access it?
> >
> > I never entirely figured out what they are but if you try "man xclip"
> > I guess I was thinking of selection,
>
> I saw that but could not figure it out either.
>
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#Selections
>
> This gives some insight into the confusion but no clue which pgms use
> what, and how/where they do it. Still can't tell if the KDE copy
> actually does something...

I guess the idea is to copy something and then see if xclip can
find it in any of the "selections." I seem to recall having
copy to wrong one  a few times although I can't remember a specific
example. Right now I get this,

 xclip -o -selection p | strings
The majority of programs for Xorg, including Qt and GTK applications, follow this behavior. While ICCCM also defines a SECONDARY selection, it does not have a consensually agreed upon purpose. Despite the naming, all three selections are basically "clipboards". Rather than the old "cut buffers" system where arbitrary applications could modify data stored in the cut buffers, only one application may control or "own" a selection at one time. This prevents inconsistencies in the operation of the selections.

marchywka at happy:/home/ubuntu/dev/tl/auctex/auctex-11.88$ xclip -o -selection s | strings
Error: target STRING not available

marchywka at happy:/home/ubuntu/dev/tl/auctex/auctex-11.88$ xclip -o -selection clip | strings