copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 10:55:13 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> > xclip -o -selection p | strings
> > xclip -o -selection s | strings
> > xclip -o -selection clip | strings
>
> Or if xsel should be installed:
>
>   xsel -p -o | strings
>   xsel -s -o | strings
>   xsel -b -o | strings
>
> You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
> 'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.

I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused
but seem to recall now
an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
pasting. I think it might have been my c++ code generating
clipboard contents but in any case "od" may be informative.

If you can get the code to copy into clipboard and then not paste,
pipe it into od and look for special cahrs,

od -ax

or maybe

od -A x -t x1z -v

And if you omit strings and terminal gets messed up I did
discover that "reset" does work :)