Why does 18.04 not detect WiFi devices that 16.04 detects

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 08:44:32 UTC 2019

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 22:51, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> BIOS
> Date: 09/08/2017
> (Because it does not display the date in the ISO format, I do not know
> whether that is 09 August, or, 08 September, but it probably does not
> make much difference, in this context)
> Vendor: AMI
> Version: 370H4W0X.103
>
> I am assuming that that is not "up to date", as mitigations have, I
> believe, been released, for vulnerabilities in Intel microcode (I
> think it is), and, as the operating system is updated, and, includes
> means for updating (I think) BIOS/UEFI, the Date should be within the
> last couple of months, if operating system security updates would have
> updated it.

Intel microcode updates via system updates are nothing to do with the
BIOS/EFI Firmware.  Google for your mother board to find the latest
version and how to update.

> However, the Date of the BIOS, is, I believe, more recent than the
> hardware of the computer running 16.04.x, that detects the wifi
> devices that the 18.04 does not detect.

Irrelevant, there are often bug fixes that can affect this sort of
issue, and are not necessarily documented in the bios release notes.

> > You said "One of the problems", I therefore deduce that there are
> > other problems.  It might be interesting to know what they are.
>
> Missing packages, less functionality, loss of things like menu bars in
> applications, menu's and the software installer, don't show packages,
> etc, etc, etc. And, some of the packages, like Midori, appear to have
> been downgraded.

OK, I thought you might have meant hardware/software issues rather
than spec changes.

You haven't said the results of running live 16.04 on the machine.
Also would be interesting to run 18.04 live on the one's that do find
the access points.

Colin