Why does 18.04 not detect WiFi devices that 16.04 detects

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 21:49:09 UTC 2019

On 08/07/2019, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 21:40, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have UbuntuMATE running on different systems - mostly 16.04.x, but,
>> on one computer, I have 18.04 running.
>>
>> One of the problems with 18.04, is that it does not detect WiFi
>> sources, that 16.04 detects.
>
> First run a live Image of 16.04 on the PC that is showing the problem
> and make sure that it is, in fact, the Ubuntu version that is causing
> the problem.
>
> Also make sure that the Firmware (BIOS) is up to date on the
> motherboard.  That applies whatever the results of the first test.
>

>From (I think) System Profiler and Benchmarks, or, HardInfo,

BIOS
Date: 09/08/2017
(Because it does not display the date in the ISO format, I do not know
whether that is 09 August, or, 08 September, but it probably does not
make much difference, in this context)
Vendor: AMI
Version: 370H4W0X.103

I am assuming that that is not "up to date", as mitigations have, I
believe, been released, for vulnerabilities in Intel microcode (I
think it is), and, as the operating system is updated, and, includes
means for updating (I think) BIOS/UEFI, the Date should be within the
last couple of months, if operating system security updates would have
updated it.

However, the Date of the BIOS, is, I believe, more recent than the
hardware of the computer running 16.04.x, that detects the wifi
devices that the 18.04 does not detect.

> You said "One of the problems", I therefore deduce that there are
> other problems.  It might be interesting to know what they are.

Missing packages, less functionality, loss of things like menu bars in
applications, menu's and the software installer, don't show packages,
etc, etc, etc. And, some of the packages, like Midori, appear to have
been downgraded.

> Colin

Bret Busby
Armadale