Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 16:55:02 UTC 2019

On 25/08/2019, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 at 21:28, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try logging in as a different user, that will tell you whether it is
> your profile that has been messed up or whether it is something system
> related.  If you have not got a second user configured then make one,
> it is very easy.

Okay.

On both the 16.04.6 and the 18.04.3 systems, the test gives the same
result; for the second user, everything seems to be okay - the panels
are where they are expected, and, functional.

How do I access, or, reset, my profile for my primary account?

>From memory, before GUI's. on a UNIX System V system, the user's
profile was stored in a . file or a .profile file.

Upon viewing a .profile file, with a text editor, I do not see any
reference to a GUI or GUI settings.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale