modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 21:38:09 UTC 2018

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-780-core-2-duo-e8400-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

> > Acer P221W
>
> OK. Again, specs:
>
> https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-p221w-lcd-monitor/specs/
>
> So they both should have DVI ports.

Only the monitor, the Dell has VGA and DisplayPort

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVXSmLbKQXrSZ2po9 photo of back panel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JNiYbQkzdwpf6XRW7 From manual showing ports

> Using a DVI-DVI cable will give you a better, sharper picture and I
> suspect it may well resolve this re-detection problem.

I'll go ahead and order a DisplayPort -> DVI cable from Amazon and see
what happens. Should have it by Wed.

> I don't know where in the world you are, but a DVI-DVI cable should
> cost about GBP 3 or USD 4, which is a pretty modest investment. There
> is also a good chance one came in the monitor's box, or that you can
> find one in a junk bin if you have a local computer store.

Being a 'Military Town' most all stores of any type around here are
rip-offs. My best bet as I said above is Amazon.

> > 31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
>
> Aha! I didn't see this before.
>
> North of Austin, TX?

Correct, live it Copperas Cove, Tx right next to a major Army base, Ft.
Hood.

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)