How install gcc with deb

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Nov 17 21:24:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 15:57:16 -0500 (EST), Robert Heller wrote:
>[...] RHEL on the otherhand [...]
>
>I'd would really like to recomend to the OP to NOT install any verison
>of Ubuntu on a non-Internet connected machine.

My "main" install is Arch Linux, a real rolling release and my "you
never know what happens to Arch Linux 'backup'" install is an Ubuntu LTS
install.

I agree, that in most cases it's way better to use Ubuntu with an
Internet connection, let alone a rolling release such as Arch Linux and
without doubts upgrading gcc works assuming the conditions you assume
are fulfilled.

However, why does the OP need an upgrade of gcc within the Ubuntu
release model distro policy only?

IMO it's fishy. A security upgrade makes sense, a feature upgrade
doesn't make sense. IOW, why is an upgrade of gcc only required for a
machine that isn't connected to the Internet?