modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 01:41:34 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-11-16 at 13:20 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 23:19, Chris <chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks for getting back to me, but these are not really full answers,
> I'm afraid.
>
> > Done, blew out both connectors and reattached
>
> OK. You said later it was a VGA cable. People throw those out by the
> dozen now; most monitors come with them but they are a bad, *bad*
> choice for an LCD, because the display is digital but the cable is
> analogue.
>
> Have you got a spare?
Installed new VGA cable today, no change.

> > > What graphics controller do you have?
> >
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series
> > Chipset
> > Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> > 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
> > Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> That doesn't really tell me much except it's a built-in GPU on an
> Intel chip.
>
> What chip? What motherboard? What computer? What ports does it have?

Chipset
Intel Q45 Express Chipset w/ICH10DO

Can't find info on the MB at the Dell site

Dell Optiplex 780

Video:
VGA 1 Rear
DVI-I Optional via add-in card
DisplayPort 1 Rear

> > Manufacturer: ACR Model 16 Serial Number 2170562977]
>
> Yeah, that does not answer the question.
>
> What make and model is it?
>
> > (Probably too much info)
>
> No, too little.
>
> Look at the label on the front and back of the screen. Don't rely on
> stuff the computer tells you.

Acer P221W

> > > What kind of connection?
> >
> > VGA
>
> That's a problem.
>
> Possibly the big one.
>
> Does your PC have other ports?
Yes, DisplayPort
> Does the monitor?
Yes DVI
> What? List them, all, on both ends, separately.
>
> > > Have you tried updating your firmware?
> >
> > firmware version shown via apt-search linux-firmware
>
> That stuff is irrelevant.
>
> Look up what motherboard you have. Go to the manufacturer's website.
> Find what the latest version is.
>
> Reboot your PC. Go into the firmware settings. See what version it
> is.
I've updated that a few years ago to the latest A15 for the 780. I've
checked today and there is nothing newer.

I've spent most all day on the Dell site and on Google. I have these
manuals

optiplex-780_service manual2_en-us.pdf
optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_en.pdf
optiplex-780-tech-guide.pdf