modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:20:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 23:19, Chris <chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me, but these are not really full answers,
I'm afraid.

> Done, blew out both connectors and reattached

OK. You said later it was a VGA cable. People throw those out by the
dozen now; most monitors come with them but they are a bad, *bad*
choice for an LCD, because the display is digital but the cable is
analogue.

Have you got a spare?

> > What graphics controller do you have?
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

That doesn't really tell me much except it's a built-in GPU on an Intel chip.

What chip? What motherboard? What computer? What ports does it have?

> Manufacturer: ACR Model 16 Serial Number 2170562977]

Yeah, that does not answer the question.

What make and model is it?

> (Probably too much info)

No, too little.

Look at the label on the front and back of the screen. Don't rely on
stuff the computer tells you.

> > What kind of connection?
> VGA

That's a problem.

Possibly the big one.

Does your PC have other ports?
Does the monitor?
What? List them, all, on both ends, separately.

> > Have you tried updating your firmware?
>
> firmware version shown via apt-search linux-firmware

That stuff is irrelevant.

Look up what motherboard you have. Go to the manufacturer's website.
Find what the latest version is.

Reboot your PC. Go into the firmware settings. See what version it is.

See if it is on an older version than you can download.