stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 6 00:59:44 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 17:16 -0700 schrieb rikona:

> That is exactly what i installed.
>

> > snap app executables always end up in /snap/bin so if you want to
> > run
> > a snap from commandline you can either call it with full path via
> > /snap/bin or through "snap run <appname>".
> AHA! I didn't know one needed to run snap pgms that way. Also
> nice to know where the executables are. Thanks. Does that mean I
> can't
> have an 'installed' icon to click on [desktop or on the bar]?
> Probably
> wouldn't run it a lot so it would end up in a desktop folder rather
> than clutter up the desktop.

all snaps that are graphical have to ship a .desktop file which is what
defines the graphical launcher. you can search for the app in the
ubuntu dash (the thing that pops up if you click the ubuntu logo on a
default desktop or press the windows key) and drag the icon onto the
desktop.

to get more info about a snap from commandline you can use the "snap
info" command:

$ snap info stellarium-plars
name:      stellarium-plars
summary:   Free, open source planetarium software
publisher: pwlars
contact:   paul.larson at canonical.com
license:   unknown
  Stellarium renders 3D photo-realistic skies in real-time. With
Stellarium, you
  really see what you can see with your eyes, binoculars or a small
telescope.
commands:
  - stellarium-plars.stellarium
snap-id:      hf5nWG6WDAoLbQ02hHFerY8jCQ1d0KNr
tracking:     stable
refresh-date: today at 02:42 CEST
channels:
  stable:    0.18 (23) 201MB -
  candidate: 0.18 (23) 201MB -
  beta:      0.18 (23) 201MB -
  edge:      0.18 (23) 201MB -
installed:   0.18 (23) 201MB -

as you can see above the snap comes with one "command" ... that is what
you can find under /snap/bin ...

$ ls /snap/bin/stellarium-plars.stellarium
/snap/bin/stellarium-plars.stellarium

other details about snaps can be found at https://snapcraft.io ... for
example take a look at: https://snapcraft.io/stellarium-plars

for more info, questions and discussions about snaps you should come
over to:

https://forum.snapcraft.io

ciao
	oli