stellarium problem

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Mon Aug 6 00:16:24 UTC 2018

On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 01:32:21 +0200
Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 12:36 -0700 schrieb rikona:
> > Using Ubuntu 16.04. Wanted to check out the location of close-by
> > Mars so installed stellarium via GUI but it won't run. All I get is
> > an instant flash of something on the screen. Htop does not see it
> > running.
>

> > I just wondered if there is anything different about snap installs,
> > and how to get this to work...
>
> if you open ubuntu software, what is the exact package name it shows ?
>
> (i just quickly installed stellarium-plars here and it runs just fine
> on a 16.04 machine ... )

That is exactly what i installed.

> snap app executables always end up in /snap/bin so if you want to run
> a snap from commandline you can either call it with full path via
> /snap/bin or through "snap run <appname>".

AHA! I didn't know one needed to run snap pgms that way. Also
nice to know where the executables are. Thanks. Does that mean I can't
have an 'installed' icon to click on [desktop or on the bar]? Probably
wouldn't run it a lot so it would end up in a desktop folder rather
than clutter up the desktop.

Thanks

Rik