gedit output re Entry 60 error, software updater failure, &c.

djlafond djlafond at protonmail.ch
Sat Aug 4 23:20:54 UTC 2018

Hi Colin,

Thank you again for your patience & for taking the time to pour over this. i've just done the edit your recommend, run clean & update & it's all good. The scary error icon, the red circle with the horizontal white bar disappeared before the terminal was done running the updates. The last line showing in the update run is

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) . . .

then the command prompt comes up. i assume it's complete but the ellipsis at the end of that last line just left me a teeny bit unsure. i exited terminal mode since the error icon is gone & the update seemed to run fine & all seems good.

i take your point about breaking the thread, i'm sorry about that. i was thinking i was further focusing it but didn't think of the fact that it inherently broke the thread. In future i will subscribe to the message in situations like this so that doesn't happen. Believe it or not, i feel like i've learned a lot in this process. So as i said, i'm really grateful for your kind help. You're obviously a decent soul.

Thank you.

best,

david

One last question: is there a book you can recommend that would be a good primer on this sort of basic problem-solving, maintenance & terminal command stuff?  i'm definitely not a tech but i do to a degree get, just don't have a broad knowledge base though i've been using ubuntu since version 11 i think. i've been overall very happy with it & don't miss WIndows at all.

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch), encrypted email based in Switzerland.