gedit output re Entry 60 error, software updater failure, &c.

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 08:00:15 UTC 2018

On 5 August 2018 at 00:20, djlafond via ubuntu-users <
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
> Thank you again for your patience & for taking the time to pour over this.
> i've just done the edit your recommend, run clean & update & it's all good.
> The scary error icon, the red circle with the horizontal white bar
> disappeared before the terminal was done running the updates. The last line
> showing in the update run is
>
> Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) . . .
>
> then the command prompt comes up. i assume it's complete but the ellipsis
> at the end of that last line just left me a teeny bit unsure. i exited
> terminal mode since the error icon is gone & the update seemed to run fine
> & all seems good.
>
> i take your point about breaking the thread, i'm sorry about that. i was
> thinking i was further focusing it but didn't think of the fact that it
> inherently broke the thread. In future i will subscribe to the message in
> situations like this so that doesn't happen. Believe it or not, i feel like
> i've learned a lot in this process. So as i said, i'm really grateful for
> your kind help. You're obviously a decent soul.

That is the normal result for upgrading, the ellipses mean it is doing it
and the fact that it returned to the prompt without an error means all is
well.

This guy's tutorials are usually very good, though I have not used this
particular one.  I think it is free to use online, but if you find it
useful you may feel morally obliged to pay and get the additional resources.
https://www.learnenough.com/command-line-tutorial

Colin