gedit output re Entry 60 error, software updater failure, &c.

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 20:59:02 UTC 2018

On 4 August 2018 at 21:33, djlafond via ubuntu-users <
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial partner
> deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial partner
>
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-backports multiverse main
> restricted universe
> deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu partner

That line is wrong, as it is missing the reference to xenial.
Are you still getting the digest and changing the subject, you keep
breaking the thread so now I can't easily go back and see how you might
have got into this situation, it is much better if you subscribe to
individual messages, then you can just use Reply. In fact I don't believe
you need that line anyway as the partner repository is already specified in
the lines before.  I think the easiest way to sort it is, in a terminal, to
run
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
which will bring up a simple terminal editor.  Don't try and use the mouse,
just the keyboard.
Scroll down till you get to the start of the line above (the one with the
missing 'xenial' then hold down the delete key to delete that line and the
three after it (which all start with # so are just comments anyway).  Then
type Ctrl+O (hold down the Ctrl key and press O) to save the file, it will
prompt you with the file name, just hit enter, then Ctrl+X to exit the
editor.  Then run
sudo apt-get update
which should now run through without error, and if it does then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
which will upgrade everything to the latest 16.04 versions.

Colin