name resolution

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Nov 25 09:56:29 UTC 2017

Nils Kassube schreef op 24-11-2017 19:32:
> Xen wrote:
>> Nils Kassube schreef op 24-11-2017 8:07:

>> > As I understand it, you are not supposed to use any private domain
>> > names.
>>
>> This is fucking bullshit of course.
>>
>> I mean why don't you stop telling such things.
>>
>> > Otherwise ICANN would have reserved a specific domain name for
>> > private use, just like there are private IP adresses.
>>
>> There was no necessity because the number of top level domains was
>> very limited.
>>
>> This was different with IPs, so your conclusion doesn't follow.
>>
>> There were so few tlds, and none with anything longer than 3
>> characters, that no trouble ever arose and also didn't need to be
>> governed.
>
> Well that was a long time ago. Things have changed and nowadays there
> are many TLDs with more than three characters:
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains>.

I know that.

So you are saying that ICANN would *by now* have registered a top level
domain name for specific use.

I am pretty sure that if anyone wants to register a global top level
domain of the name ".local" it is going to be rejected.

So in actual effect it is already registered for local use.

So I don't have to reserve it, I can just use it.

> For registration or other special purpose like the .local domain.

> I do see the difference even if I didn't explain it. You would register
> a domain like example.com and use a subdomain on your lan like
> local.example.com. Yes, that means that you have a third level domain
> on
> your lan, but is it really necessary to use a top level domain on your
> lan?

If it wasn't, then why don't you choose .local.nonexistent for your
avahi thing?

>> How does one, oh great Nils, register a top level domain for private
>> use?
>
> Ask Microsoft - they have registered .microsoft.

That's not exactly private is it.

You have to become a registar you know.

>> Tell me how an individual can register a top level domain just for him
>> or herself.
>
> I'm not sure if it is possible at all for individuals but it would cost
> you a bit more than a second level domain. :)

I think a small bit yeah :).