USB-VGA suggestions?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 15:21:34 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
> Hey, all.  I've got the weirdest server I've seen in some time: it's got
> four (independent) blades, but no video. You can pop the slot off, buy a VGA
> connector with a cable running to the VGA header, and plug that in... but
> it's a PITA.  What it *does* have for every blade, though, is USB -- two of
> 'em.  So if I had a VGA-to-USB adapter, and a keyboard, I'd be golden.  But
> last time I looked, Linux support for those adapters was kinda questionable.
> Has anyone had any good experiences?

This might be a bit of a daft question, but these things tend to
either have a BMC or similar management controller that provides a
remote console to the blades, and if they're IPMI compatible, you can
get a full, interactive console from the BMC using ipmitool (in most
cases).

That seems like it would be an easier solution that introducing
dongles with dodgy support, but YMMV.

Out of curiosity, what's the make/model of the server?