Linux-friendly laptops

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Jul 13 20:37:05 UTC 2017

Brad Harvey schreef op 13-07-2017 21:38:

> I have used mostly Thinkpads. The support with Linux is mostly good.
> Max out the RAM, throw in an SSD and you are set. I have not come
> across a Debian distro that didn't work with all the hardware. I know
> others have commented on System76. That is a good choice if you have
> the cash to throw at it. Now that they have their own flavor or Linux I
> don't know if the hardware will work with other distros. I am sure that
> Debian based ones will still work.
>
> I think sometimes that the distro wars spill over into the hardware. If
> you are running Linux at least your doing well.

Since no one mentioned them, I have successfully used a HP 2530p but the
hardware may be a bit slow nowadays for Kubuntu. Not really with an SSD
most likely, but the older models came with slow 5400 rpm 1.8" disk.
However the wifi worked just fine, including the sdcard, usb etc. as
well. Fingerprint reader don't know. Today there are newer models such
as at least the 2540p, and beyond of course. Standby worked correctly,
and hibernation worked correctly in Linux as well I believe. I don't
remember CPU consumption, at some point there was an issue in Plasma
with regards to a process that used 100% CPU, but this was in Kubuntu
14.10 (KDE 4). And was probably related to a single icon that did not
render correctly (there were some pixmap issues).

Apart from that I don't remember ever being worried about CPU
consumption, OpenSUSE 13.2 also ran very well on it.

Regards.