Best Twitter client for Ubuntu 15.10

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Feb 28 19:37:14 UTC 2017

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:20:28 -0500 (EST), Robert Heller wrote:
>What *I* do:
>
>I use LVM on my hard drives (RAID mirror set). When *I* upgrade, I
>create a fresh Logical Volume for the new root (/) and install there.
>The old OS is untouched. I use a separate /boot file system (it is
>also its own RAID mirror set). Booting the old os is just a selection
>from the grub menu. And the old root file system is available for
>mounting RO. Non-OS stuff (eg /home, etc.) are on separate Logical
>Volumes / file systems.
>
>Oh, and I run the new OS as a VM for awhile before installing it on
>the bare metal, so there are no suprises there (or very few).
>
>And yes, I also run Amanda and backup to a spare hard drive, with a
>"virtual" tape changer.

IMO that's far too individual and just confusing the OP ;). I'm for
example using syslinux instead of GRUB and to avoid chain-loading I do
something strange and bind /boot:

[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ grep bind /etc/fstab
/mnt/archlinux/.boot/ubuntu_moonstudio/boot /boot          none   bind              0 0

From the context we could assume that the op neither does use RAID,
VMs, nor something else unusual, such as a bootloader, that is unusual
for the averaged Ubuntu user.

RAID is even not an option for several tasks. I for example use Linux
as a real-time DAW, so raid would be much likely counter-productive and
a VM would be completely unusable ;).

Lets stay with backup options that are likely more pleasant for the
averaged desktop user. IMO apart from what I prefer, there are just
rsync based options ok and much likely just without RAID, VMs, tapes and
what soever individual expert solutions.

Regards,
Ralf