SSD

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Feb 3 00:31:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 15:12:48 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
>wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>:
>>
>> Toshiba OCZ TL100 SSD
>>
>> https://www.reichelt.de/SSD-2-5-SATA/OCZ-TL100-240/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=7294&ARTICLE=184616&OFFSET=16&SID=92WJOUx6wQATIAAGqHsTA1a58d1b95b56acbbb518dd4d82944ef5&LANGUAGE=EN
>>
>> with a Corsair SSD Mounting Bracket
>>
>> http://www.reichelt.de/Zubehoer-fuer-Laufwerke/CSSD-BRKT/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=7296&ARTICLE=158140&OFFSET=16&SID=92WJOUx6wQATIAAGqHsTA1a58d1b95b56acbbb518dd4d82944ef5&LANGUAGE=EN
>>
>> I'll use the SDD in the same way I used the HDD. I don't wish to do
>> special SSD treatments.
>>
>> Is anything speaking against this SSD or is the mounting bracket
>> known to be incompatible with Linux >= 4.0 ;). It's an old BIOS mobo
>> with SATA, the manual mentions 3.0 Gb/s, so it's SATA 2.
>>

>I don't see how the mounting bracket would have anything to do with OS
>compatibility.  In general the OS doesn't care how you put the
>hardware together as long as the interfaces are properly connected.

Emoticon ;)

>I recently added a Patriot SSD to be my boot and root drive, and it
>works just fine.  No compatibility issues so far.  It's a Patriot
>Spark 256GB SATA6 drive, and it gallops nicely.
>
>Even your old MOBO at 3Gb/s should be fine, though the drive will not
>operate at full speed.

The dealer where I'll most likely order has got this one from Patriot:

https://www.reichelt.de/SSD-2-5-SATA/PBT240GS25SSDR/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=170126&GROUPID=7294&artnr=PBT240GS25SSDR&SEARCH=patriot

It does cost 1.15 EUR less and they claim to provide 500000 hours more.
The data sheets don't show power consumption or cache for both SSDs. I
doubt that cache is very important. Unfortunately the Patriot homepage
doesn't provide the 240GB offered by my dealer and apart from this it's
not clear if the Firmware available for at least the 480GB and 960GB
versions could be upgraded using Linux. It's a zip archive and trying
to download it fails.

Another dealer offers your SSD quasi for the same price, 77.18 EUR, as
the OCZ, 77.95 EUR and Patriot Blast 76.80 EUR.

Regards,
Ralf