LVM: How to access a foreign volume group

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sun Dec 10 16:04:30 UTC 2017

Am Sonntag, 10. Dezember 2017, 08:36:34 CET schrieb Xen:
> Volker Wysk schreef op 10-12-2017 2:38:

> >> Also I assume you will also encrypt your cache volumes?
> >>
> >> This is not easy.
> >>
> >> I don't think the initrd by default opens non-root encrypted thingies.
> >>
> >> So you would need these steps:
> >>
> >> (... ... ...)
> >
> > I'm afraid, your help goes to waste here, since I've already got it
> > running, in a virtual machine. It wasn't easy, but I've managed to set
> > it up. Your steps look familiar.
> >
> > The reason I'm worrying how to restore the system from backup, is
> > because something might go wrong, when I apply the procedure to my
> > production system, and I won't be able to boot it any longer. I want
> > to know how to recover _before_ I break my machine. I've also looked
> > at GRUB's recovey mode.
>
> Oh well then I apologize, it just seemed to me a person capable of
> setting this up would also know how to use a Live DVD ;-).
>
> In a live DVD there is nothing more to do than install
> thin-provisioning-tools and running cryptsetup open. That's it.

I'm using a live USB-Stick, no problem with that.

I've forgotten the cryptsetup step, see my other message, but now it works. I can access the root filesystem.

The work doesn't end with booting the recovery system, and mounting the root filesystem of the production system. I also need to know how to recover from the backup. This has been answered in another message. Doesn't look too difficult to me, but you must watch out.

Cheers
Volker