16.04 Printer definition problems

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 26 11:41:15 UTC 2016

Good morning Petter,
On 09/25/2016 02:35 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 06:38:23 -0500
> Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks again Petter,
>> On 09/24/2016 04:55 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
>>> As a workaround, can't you use the CUPS interface at
>>> https://localhost:631 ?
>>
>> That enabled me to identify the printer as a server. And set it up
>> correctly.
>>
>> On a hard wired system everything works fine.
>> On my laptop (wireless) when I find the printer and add it that works
>> also. Yet When I try to print a Test Page I get the message held for
>> authorization. How do I correct that?
>
> Sorry, I'm not really sure why you get that. I found this thread that
> might help, look at the sixth post from the top:
>
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1211404

I followed the instructions in that post.
1. sudo service cups stop
2. sudo vi /etc/cups/printers/cupsd.conf
3. foubd a line AuthInfoRequired none
	in the file at:
<Printers>
<DefaultPrinter sysprt>
UUID ...
AuthInfoRequired none

4. deleted that line
5. ended vi with ZZ
6. sudo service cups start

I then tried to print a test page and got the same results. So without
stopping cups I  did the following:

1 entered the following sudo less /etc/cups/confd.conf

The line was BACK!!!

2. ended the less command with q

and performed steps 1-5 as before and the verified the line was gone
with less, it was.

3. sudo service cups start
4. sudo less /etc/cups/confd.conf

The line was BACK!!! Where is cups finding the information to put the
line back n the file and why????

At some point during this exercise I looked at /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
and found a line DefaultAuthTyep Basic

Could this be the problem?

> Also, verify that the printer is set as 'Shared' (although if it works
> from another system that shouldn't be the problem.)

Yes the printer is shared.

Regards,
Jay

--