Advice on backup method

Chas IRONS ironscf at telkomsa.net
Sat Jun 4 11:09:52 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-05-29 at 11:15 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Chas IRONS wrote:
> > I have used the Backup front end for deja-dup each month-end many
> > times but this time it would not switch to a new flash drive. The
> > Software Centre also had many bad comments. So I installed Back in
> > Time with its recommended default settings but it failed with many
> > pages of errors about Evolution files. My Evolution folders have 65MB
> > of history about banking, medical,tax and investment transactions
> > that I must keep.
> >
> > The first few errors in the log below were followed by 10 pages of
> > Evolution errors: Please advise me!
> > [E] Error: rsync: symlink
> > "/media/chas/BCA6-796F/backintime/Charles-PC/chas/1/new_snapshot/backu
> > p/home/chas/.config/opera/SingletonCookie" -> "11075476278167463458"
> > failed: Operation not permitted (1)
>
> Did you reformat the flash drive with ext2/3/4? If you didn't do that,
> the drive is formatted with FAT32 or maybe NTFS. Both FAT32 and NTFS are
> not compatible with Linux symlinks and therefore you would get the error
> message above.
>
> IMHO you have two options: Either format the flash drive with one of the
> ext file systems - then you can use Linux symlinks. If you want to use
> the flash drive for Windows machines also, you should rather change your
> backup method to use tar archives - they can be stored on FAT32 / NTFS
> file systems.
>

> Nils

****************

Hello all

Thanks for your generous suggestions. I have done a successful backup
following Nils' advice to format the flash drive.

I admire greatly the advanced command level skill that most replies
showed. That said, I am a retired GUI level user and expect to stay one.
I believe Ubuntu aims to meet my needs without much study of its
innards.  So I hope you agree that my approach also contributes to the
wider usability of Ubuntu.

Maybe you could suggest a way for me to share my specific experiences at
GUI user level?

Thanks again for your helpfulness.
irons.charles at gmail.com
Home   +2711 782 8623