Moving towards NetworkManager

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 30 17:38:57 UTC 2016

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:04:17 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>On 29 July 2016 at 22:04, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
>> You're probably right. I think, you need some grade of madness to
>> survive in this world.
>
>There is truth in that! :-)
>
>> I was not aware about sublte differences in apt-gt/aptitude.
>
>I don't think this counts as "subtle"!
>
>>  A long time ago I
>> asked on this list whether aptitude is a proper tool and received
>> positive answers.
>
>Really? That is surprising. Debian recommends ``aptitude'' but Ubuntu
>never did and now Ubuntu offers the ``apt'' command instead. I have
>switched to this. It behaves just like apt-get/apt-cache etc., but the
>commands are shorter and the progress indication is much better.
>
>E.g.
>
>sudo apt update ; sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
>
>... instead of:
>
>sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>
>Saves 8 characters, 2 of them punctuation marks. As Neal Stephenson
>said:

OTOH you could type

sudo apt-g TAB upd TAB && sudo apt-g TAB di TAB

I prefer && over ; because if the update fails, it doesn't continue
with a perhaps partial dist-upgrade and I removed the -y since IMO it's
wiser to first take a look at what should be done.

I usually run

apt-get update && apt-file update && auto-apt updatedb && auto-apt update-local && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove

the && might not make really sense everywhere, perhaps I should edit
this. FWIW usually I'm not typing it, I use the cursor up key ;), so I
might need to push 4 or 5 times the same key. Note, there's no
sudo used ;), instead of typing sudo several times I use su or sudo -i,
sudo -s would work, too.

Regards,
Ralf