Moving towards NetworkManager

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 13:04:17 UTC 2016

On 29 July 2016 at 22:04, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> You're probably right. I think, you need some grade of madness to survive in
> this world.

There is truth in that! :-)

> I was not aware about sublte differences in apt-gt/aptitude.

I don't think this counts as "subtle"!

>  A long time ago I
> asked on this list whether aptitude is a proper tool and received positive
> answers.

Really? That is surprising. Debian recommends ``aptitude'' but Ubuntu
never did and now Ubuntu offers the ``apt'' command instead. I have
switched to this. It behaves just like apt-get/apt-cache etc., but the
commands are shorter and the progress indication is much better.

E.g.

sudo apt update ; sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

... instead of:

sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

Saves 8 characters, 2 of them punctuation marks. As Neal Stephenson said:

«
Note the obsessive use of abbreviations and avoidance of capital
letters; this is a system invented by people to whom repetitive stress
disorder is what black lung is to miners. Long names get worn down to
three-letter nubbins, like stones smoothed by a river.
»

http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/C_R_Y_P_T_O_N_O_M_I_C_O_N.shtml