Moving towards NetworkManager

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:56:23 UTC 2016

On 30 July 2016 at 19:38, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> OTOH you could type
>
> sudo apt-g TAB upd TAB && sudo apt-g TAB di TAB

I didn't know it could autocomplete command switches as well. That's
worth knowing. Thank you!

But that would not get me the improved progress reports. I like those.

> I prefer && over ; because if the update fails, it doesn't continue
> with a perhaps partial dist-upgrade

I have found that, overall, ``;'' saves time. If there's no internet
connection -- I use a powerline bridge and it's flakey -- then it
won't update anything.

> and I removed the -y since IMO it's
> wiser to first take a look at what should be done.

Fair enough, but for dist-upgrade, I'm happy to just let it roll,
based on my experience with Ubuntu, which I find more reliable than
Debian, for example.

> I usually run
>
> apt-get update && apt-file update && auto-apt updatedb && auto-apt update-local && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove

I had to Google some of those. I don't use any local caching over and
above what ``apt'' does on its own.

> FWIW usually I'm not typing it, I use the cursor up key ;), so I
> might need to push 4 or 5 times the same key.

True!

> Note, there's no
> sudo used ;), instead of typing sudo several times I use su or sudo -i,
> sudo -s would work, too.

Yes, me too.