16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 25 19:29:04 UTC 2016

On Monday 25 July 2016 15:08:11 Josef Wolf wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 03:02:37PM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> > I'm not.  I've seen that on Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint.  NM is just
> > bloody awful and I never use it, even for desktop installs.
>
> I too don't like it. Therefore I uninstall it. But I'd not expect that
> the whole desktop environment would be removed along with
> network-manager.
>
> I have not seen such behavoir on older LTS releases

I have, removeing it, it was insistent on ripping out half the system
that for several generations, up to wheezy, I had to carve up my home
host based network, and instantly on editing one of files, had to
chattr -i each file as I worked on it before NM could tear it down.
Once I had made the files immutable, then I could care less what NM
tried to do to it.  I could see it wake up and try from time to time,
but it was about the equ of a beef steer by then.  Generally it had the
decency to not complain since about Hardy.  Now with wheezy I have found
its removeable, so thats a definite plus. I have always looked at NM as
a solution in search of a problem I didn't have if it was suitably
neutered.
> --
> Josef Wolf
> jw at raven.inka.de