16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 25 19:38:33 UTC 2016

hi,
On Mo, 2016-07-25 at 20:18 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> that's strange. I run do-release-upgrade from 15.10 to 16.04. On my
> install it's the same as for Colin's install, IOW
> it's /lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service. 16.04 still seems to be a
> hybrid, since at least rtirq is /etc/init.d/rtirq. However, lightdm
> needs to run and rtirq just set up one time the rt priorities and
> then
> doesn't run anymore, so that rtirq exited is correct, but if lightdm
> exits, it isn't.

you should complain to the rtirq maintainers then (the debian
multimedia team) for not porting it to systemd yet ... thats nothing
the ubuntu core team maintains (the package looks like it gets synced
from debian unmodified there is no -XubuntuY in the version)

ubuntu will never stop to have the fallback mechanism for sysvinit in
place for exactly such packages (and i highly doubt any other serious
distro will for the next few years) ... there are 18000+ source
packages in the debian and ubuntu archives, some might take years to
get migrated (depending on how active their maintainers are) many are
only touched every few years even.

this has nothing to do with "hybrid" as you like to call it ...

this is responsible maintenance to not break peoples installs out there
just because some debian (or upstream) maintainer was lazy (or hates
systemd for political raisins). it simply uses the exec lines from the
sysvinit script in a systemd unit generated at install time, there is
nothing hybrid about this implementation the unit in use is a systemd
unit ...

all ubuntu maintained packages are actually pure systemd btw ...

ciao
	oli