16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 25 21:14:22 UTC 2016

hi,
On Mo, 2016-07-25 at 21:57 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 03:27:08PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 21:08 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > >
> > > I too don't like it. Therefore I uninstall it. But I'd not expect
> > > that the whole desktop environment would be removed along with
> > > network-manager.
> >
> > It's VERY UNWISE to use -y -q with aptitude remove.
>
> NM is about the only package, which I am uninstalling this way.

do you use something else or do you just configure your network in
/etc/network/interfaces ? NM will never touch a device if you configure
it in that file (up to now at least ... not sure what happens if we at
any point switch to systemd-networkd from ifupdown) so you can safely
let it installed and just do your network config via command line (then
it will also still provide the info to desktop apps on the dbus that
the system is off/online, many apps use that feature nowadays)

ciao
	oli