Customize alternate install CD with UEFI?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:43:57 UTC 2016

On 22 July 2016 at 16:24, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 03:16:54PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 22 July 2016 at 14:53, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 01:12:54PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> Look, you are clearly smart and know your stuff.
>> However, so am I, and I am not trying to tell you what to you.
>
> Sorry, if that sounded offending. I know, I have to improve my English. =:-)

No no, it's fine, no problem.

> But isn't that a different kind of LVM? For Windows, a Linux-LVM will look
> like an ordinary linux partition, AFAIK.

Yes it is. But there are lots of them. And me, personally, for
workstations, I avoid all of them. I use it, very judiciously, on
servers _only_. And then, generally not on boot drives.

> I'm pretty fine with distro's config files. It's just that I want to keep
> them separate from  my own files. That's why I maintain my own /data partition
> and use symlinks where appropriate (which, BTW are set up by my
> postinstall-script).

That seems weird to me, but OK, whatever you like.

>> > But (AFAIK) you can't keep /boot withhin an encrypted drive. Therefore, if you
>> > want an encrypted root, you need a separete partition for /boot.
>>
>> I do not recall that limitation. I defer.
>
> How would the boot-loader load the kernel from an encrypted filesystem?
> Even parts from grub reside withhin /boot. How would grub access those parts?

I don't know. I've only done full-disk encryption on Linux once,
because a previous job insisted on it. I thought it a tragic waste of
computer power and performance. I followed a cheat-sheet in order to
configure it, and even so, it took 2 or 3 tries to get it working. As
far as I remember, it required a password even before the GRUB menu
appeared, but it was over 2 years ago and I don't remember.

I used LUKS, incidentally.

>> > No! Gparted and the d-i partitioner can remove them just fine! Its the
>> > graphical partitioner from the live-DVD which is broken.
>>
>> I think it does not attempt to handle such complex/non-standard setups.
>
> Encrypted disks should be standard. At least on noteboks. IMHO, of course!

Dear gods, no. As I said, I hate it and never use it unless mandated
by my employer. The same applies for LVM on workstations.

>> I think you perhaps should look up what ZRAM and ``swapspace'' do.
>
> Ah! Thanks for the hint!
>
> ZRAM will swap to (compressed) RAM. But it will delay the need for regular
> swap. I'll check it out.
> There are warnings of instabilities with ZRAM. Have you seen such problems?

No. I have used it on a number of low-spec notebooks and a Raspberry
Pi 3 and it worked without any problems.

> swapspace is no longer maintained?

It's just a script that sets up swapping to a file in the root
filesystem. I've used it on a number of servers without any problem as
well.

> But there's the possibility to swap to regular files. This might be a good
> compromize.

That's what swapspace sets up for you.

Disclaimer: I have not used it since 14.04. I have used it
successfully on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.