Customize alternate install CD with UEFI?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Jul 22 14:24:26 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 03:16:54PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 22 July 2016 at 14:53, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 01:12:54PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>
> Look, you are clearly smart and know your stuff.
> However, so am I, and I am not trying to tell you what to you.

Sorry, if that sounded offending. I know, I have to improve my English. =:-)

> > Windows have LVM?!? Didn't know that...
> Windows *Server* has them.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Disk_Manager

But isn't that a different kind of LVM? For Windows, a Linux-LVM will look
like an ordinary linux partition, AFAIK.

> > I don't use /home for my data, since /home is polluted by the distro.
>
> If you think that normal distro config files are "pollution" then you
> should probably be looking at LFS!

I'm pretty fine with distro's config files. It's just that I want to keep
them separate from  my own files. That's why I maintain my own /data partition
and use symlinks where appropriate (which, BTW are set up by my
postinstall-script).

> > But (AFAIK) you can't keep /boot withhin an encrypted drive. Therefore, if you
> > want an encrypted root, you need a separete partition for /boot.
>
> I do not recall that limitation. I defer.

How would the boot-loader load the kernel from an encrypted filesystem?
Even parts from grub reside withhin /boot. How would grub access those parts?

> > No! Gparted and the d-i partitioner can remove them just fine! Its the
> > graphical partitioner from the live-DVD which is broken.
>
> I think it does not attempt to handle such complex/non-standard setups.

Encrypted disks should be standard. At least on noteboks. IMHO, of course!

> I think you perhaps should look up what ZRAM and ``swapspace'' do.

Ah! Thanks for the hint!

ZRAM will swap to (compressed) RAM. But it will delay the need for regular
swap. I'll check it out.
There are warnings of instabilities with ZRAM. Have you seen such problems?

swapspace is no longer maintained?

But there's the possibility to swap to regular files. This might be a good
compromize.

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de