[E] Can Ubuntu fully replace OSX as the single os in Mac AIR/PRO?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 05:09:45 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 9:54 PM, Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> On 07/08/2016 02:48 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 8 July 2016 at 20:44, Coll-Barth, Michael
>> <Michael.Coll-Barth at verizonwireless.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Then all you would have is Apple hardware.  Buy an inexpensive laptop and
>>> rebuild the OS.
>>>

>> Honestly -- and I'm typing on a Mac -- I agree with this.
>>
>> Sell it to someone who appreciates OS X (as I do!) and buy a
>> thin-and-light PC laptop, e.g. a used Thinkpad X1 Carbon or something.
>>

>>     Well, he asked if it was possible, not if it is recommended...
>
> And to be honest, a MacBook Air is a nicely designed piece of hardware;
> 'tis quite thin & light. 'Can't blame him for wanting to use it, especially
> since it's something he already has.

This is why I ordered my MacBook Air with 512GB of flash.  I dual boot OSX
and Ubuntu using rEFInd to manage them.  Works like a charm.

Granted, I had Wily on there and it wasn't so good, ran hot, poor battery
life, etc.  Xenial seems to have resolved a lot of tiny complaints I had
about running Ubuntu natively on the MBA hardware.

Jeff