moving hard drive to a new system

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 02:33:05 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016, Scott Blair <scott.blair at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking about building a new computer. What I want to do is get a
> 3TB hard drive for my existing computer so I can use it as a movie server
> for the house. I want to take my existing hard drive and put it in the new
> system as is. Will this cause a problem like it does with Windows and hose
> the operating system?

It should not be an issue. You may need to fix some things like install
different graphics drivers if you're using proprietary drivers. Otherwise,
it should work.

Case in point, I'm currently using a 1TB laptop drive in a HP Z220
workstation. The installation on that HDD used to live on a 500GB HDD in an
Alienware m15x laptop that failed. I moved the entire image via DD from the
dying HDD to the 1TB drive and ran that in the Alienware until it started
having problems.

Good luck.