update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue Jan 5 09:10:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:18:13 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 08:33:50 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
> >Odd. I can't see any information there on versions at all.
>
> $ opera --help | head -n1
> Opera 34.0.2036.25 Stable

I was talking about the website, Ralf - read what I was replying to.

> I dislike apps that completely dropped the menu bar. Other Browsers,
> e.g. Icecat and Firefox, at least allow to enable the menu bar by the
> settings.

Opera has a menu, it's just a button instead of a bar. I'm not too
happy about that myself, but it does the job.

> >I haven't had any problems, but I have 16GB in the machine I mainly
> >use it on.
>
> The OP opens hundred tabs.

So do I, as you would have seen if you had read the previous posts I
was commenting on.

> I guess it#s not possible to keep
> control of hundred tabs.

It is. Both Firefox and Opera can do this.

> >I seriously doubt that is anything to be concerned about. Just check
> >that the privacy-related settings in the browser are set how you want
> >them, and set the default search engine to something other than
> >Google and you should be fine. You might also want to install
> >plugins like Ghostery and NoScript. Opera doesn't get the rendering
> >engine as a pre-compiled binary blob from Google.
>
> You're mistaken

About what?

>, if you're using e.g. Firefox, you need to edit
> about:config, to remove safe browsing etc. and you need to do this
> again and again, it's not gone forever once you removed it and you
> can't get rid of it by editing the preferences.

We weren't talking about Firefox. Besides, I disabled all the Google
stuff in Firefox a long time ago, and I've never seen it be re-enabled.

> Opera likely ships with all that crap either and maybe it does not
> provide something like about:config to remove it. Check it using

Yes, as I said, you need to set it up to your liking. That is true no
matter what browser you use.

> >Quote: "Opera has taken much care in the development process so that
> >user privacy and security are not compromised. No personal
> >information is collected or shared. The Opera user’s web usage is
> >not tracked."
>
> From the Opera browser's privacy settings:
<snip>
> This can be disabled, however, it's collecting data.
> Are you sure they haven't add safe browsing and other stuff that
> can't be disabled?

I have no clue, ask them, or read the privacy policy. Opera has
generally had a good reputation on these things. Rikona asked whether
the browser engine being written by Google had any impact on privacy,
and I said "no". I never said it was a perfect browser, whether you are
privacy-conscious or not, I said the browser engine was not what he
needed to worry about.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"