update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Jan 5 08:18:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 08:33:50 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
>Odd. I can't see any information there on versions at all.

$ opera --help | head -n1
Opera 34.0.2036.25 Stable

Perhaps it's not the first line for other versions of Opera, so just
run "opera --help".

Menu > About Opera (opera://about/) doesn't work.

Older versions with a menu bar most likely provide Help > About.

I dislike apps that completely dropped the menu bar. Other Browsers,
e.g. Icecat and Firefox, at least allow to enable the menu bar by the
settings.

>I haven't had any problems, but I have 16GB in the machine I mainly use
>it on.

The OP opens hundred tabs. A single tab with a bad website can make the
web browser unresponsive for minutes, what ever CPU you've got and how
much RAM ever you've got.I guess it#s not possible to keep control of
hundred tabs.

>I seriously doubt that is anything to be concerned about. Just check
>that the privacy-related settings in the browser are set how you want
>them, and set the default search engine to something other than Google
>and you should be fine. You might also want to install plugins like
>Ghostery and NoScript. Opera doesn't get the rendering engine as a
>pre-compiled binary blob from Google.

You're mistaken, if you're using e.g. Firefox, you need to edit
about:config, to remove safe browsing etc. and you need to do this
again and again, it's not gone forever once you removed it and you can't
get rid of it by editing the preferences.
Opera likely ships with all that crap either and maybe it does not provide
something like about:config to remove it. Check it using Wireshark.
There are other issues too, so Firefox users often consider to use IceCat
and PaleMoon or even QupZilla and former Opera developers decided to start
the Vivaldi project.

From a Firefox's about:config, search term "google".

browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.appRepURL;https://sb-ssl.google.com/safebrowsing/clientreport/download?key=%GOOGLE_API_KEY%

browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.gethashURL;https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/gethash?client=SAFEBROWSING_ID&appver=%VERSION%&pver=2.2

browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.lists;goog-badbinurl-shavar,goog-downloadwhite-digest256,goog-phish-shavar,goog-malware-shavar,goog-unwanted-shavar

browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.reportURL;https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=%NAME%&hl=%LOCALE%&site=

browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.updateURL;https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/downloads?client=SAFEBROWSING_ID&appver=%VERSION%&pver=2.2&key=%GOOGLE_API_KEY%

browser.search.defaultenginename;Google

browser.search.order.1;Google

browser.search.order.US.2;data:text/plain,browser.search.order.US.2=Google

devtools.gcli.jquerySrc;https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js

gecko.handlerService.schemes.mailto.1.uriTemplate;https://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&url=%s

geo.wifi.uri;https://www.googleapis.com/geolocation/v1/geolocate?key=%GOOGLE_API_KEY%

loop.oauth.google.redirect_uri;urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob:auto

loop.oauth.google.scope;https://www.google.com/m8/feeds

urlclassifier.keyupdatetime.https://sb-ssl.google.com/safebrowsing/newkey;1401677055

>Quote: "Opera has taken much care in the development process so that
>user privacy and security are not compromised. No personal information
>is collected or shared. The Opera user’s web usage is not tracked."

From the Opera browser's privacy settings:

"Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar"

What do you think how this works?

"Help improve Opera by sending feature usage information"

*!*

"Automatically send crash reports to Opera"

*!*

This can be disabled, however, it's collecting data.
Are you sure they haven't add safe browsing and other stuff that can't be
disabled?

Regards,
Ralf