Title bar/menu problem on 14.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 07:28:31 UTC 2016

On 9 Feb 2016 23:21, "Jim Byrnes" <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 02/04/2016 03:51 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 4 February 2016 at 21:13, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Ok, ran the live cd on my laptop. To be clear when I say "normal click"
>>> mean how I would click the mouse button if I was not really paying
attention
>>> to what I was doing. As opposed to having to rapidly tap the mouse
button to
>>> get the menu to drop down.
>>>
>>> Firefox:
>>>    touchpad - pad -- normal tap  -- no hand - menus drop down
>>>    touchpad - bar -- normal tap  -- no hand - menus drop down
>>>    trackball      -- normal tap  -- hand appears - no menu drop down
>>>    trackball      -- rapid tap   -- no hand - menus drop down
>>>    hp mouse       -- normal tap  -- hand appears - no menu drop down
>>>    hp mouse       -- rapid tap   -- no hand - menus drop down
>>>
>>> gEdit:
>>>    With a normal tap the menus drop down as expected. If I press and
hold the
>>> left button a hand appears. This is with all devices.
>>>
>>> If I have the trackball or mouse plugged in the touchpad still works as
>>> noted above.
>>>
>>> So basically the touchpad works just like it did in 12.04, but my usb
>>> trackball and mouse behave differently in 14.04 than they did in 12.04.
>>> I'm not sure what it means.  Does 14.04 have a problem with usb? If it
did I
>>> would think more people would be seeing it.
>>>
>>> Just a little note. I am in the process of installing 14.04 on my
laptop and
>>> for a little while will have a plain vanilla install of 14.04 to test on
>>> with no need for the live cd.
>>

>> I have just tried running off live 14.04.1 I am not seeing the problem
>> on touchpad or external usb mouse.  Not in Firefox or Gedit.  I did
>> seem to see it briefly in System Settings but that recovered so not
>> sure what was going on there.
>>
>> I know it seems unlikely but it is just possible that both your
>> trackball and mouse are misbehaving.  Could you borrow another mouse
>> from someone just to prove that it is not that?  I can't think of any
>> other explanation for the fact that you see the problem on two
>> machines and, apparently, no-one else is.  I have searched launchpad
>> again and cannot find anything.
>

> Sorry for the delay, I got busy and could not follow up on this right
away.  I to did a lot of searching and and could find nothing.

> The only other mouse I have available is a PS/2 mouse.  I plugged it in
and I see the same behavior I reported above with the other two mice.
> (ie a slow click produces a hand pointer with the menu not dropping down)

Just to make sure you really are seeing something different to the rest of
us can you estimate how quickly it changes to a hand please. For me it is
about 1/3 second which does not cause me any problems.

Colin

>> Having said that I have just thought of another possibility.  That
>> there is a problem on a small number of machines or types of mouse or
>> something, and the fact that you use the non-standard setup of menus
>> in window rather than on top panel means that you are much more likely
>> to see the problem than the large majority of the rest of us.
>

> Well it used to be the standard :)  I dislike the menu in the top panel
idea so much that it is the first thing I change.  I was able to do this in
12.04 with no problems.

> I find it odd that more people are not seeing this. I have to believe
that many other people have put the menus back in the titlebar. There was
one other person commented in this thread about having the same problem
with another program. I asked him to confirm if he was seeing it with
Firefox, but never received a reply.