Internet dropping for some programs

Tony Baechler bats at batsupport.com
Fri Oct 9 09:10:24 UTC 2015

On 10/8/2015 9:26 PM, Scott Blair wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. Lately the Internet drops out. But not on
> all programs. All the browsers just sit trying to resolve host.

That sounds like a DNS lookup issue.  What is the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf?  Just for fun, what if you replace /etc/resolv.conf with
the following lines:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

If that doesn't immediately help, try a reboot, but it shouldn't be
necessary.  Also, you might want to do the following if the above resolves
the problem:

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

It could be the router or DHCP server, but it sounds like the Internet works
normally except for resolving DNS lookups.  What happens if you go to the
following in your browser?

http://173.194.112.23/

If that doesn't work, it isn't a DNS issue, so I would start looking at your
router configuration.  However, since everything else works and your browser
sits there and can't resolve the host, it's most likely a DNS problem.  Is
there any program which works normally on the Internet and doesn't have the
issue?

In other words, you mention the browser and Thunderbird.  You didn't mention
which browser, but if it's Firefox, they are both Mozilla products.  I don't
see why that would matter unless Mozilla does something weird which your
router doesn't like.  Can you install system updates, for example?  If it's
a DNS or router issue, nothing should work, so you shouldn't be able to
download any packages.  If that works but Mozilla products don't, maybe
start Firefox and Thunderbird in safe mode just in case.  If none of the
above makes any obvious difference, I'm out of ideas.