Internet dropping for some programs

Scott Blair scott.blair at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:37:57 UTC 2015

On 10/09/2015 05:10 AM, Tony Baechler wrote:
> On 10/8/2015 9:26 PM, Scott Blair wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. Lately the Internet drops out. But
>> not on
>> all programs. All the browsers just sit trying to resolve host.
>

> That sounds like a DNS lookup issue.  What is the contents of
> /etc/resolv.conf?  Just for fun, what if you replace /etc/resolv.conf
> with the following lines:
>
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
> nameserver 8.8.4.4
>
> If that doesn't immediately help, try a reboot, but it shouldn't be
> necessary.  Also, you might want to do the following if the above
> resolves the problem:
>
> chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
>
> It could be the router or DHCP server, but it sounds like the Internet
> works normally except for resolving DNS lookups.  What happens if you
> go to the following in your browser?
>
> http://173.194.112.23/
>
> If that doesn't work, it isn't a DNS issue, so I would start looking
> at your router configuration.  However, since everything else works
> and your browser sits there and can't resolve the host, it's most
> likely a DNS problem.  Is there any program which works normally on
> the Internet and doesn't have the issue?
>
> In other words, you mention the browser and Thunderbird.  You didn't
> mention which browser, but if it's Firefox, they are both Mozilla
> products.  I don't see why that would matter unless Mozilla does
> something weird which your router doesn't like.  Can you install
> system updates, for example?  If it's a DNS or router issue, nothing
> should work, so you shouldn't be able to download any packages.  If
> that works but Mozilla products don't, maybe start Firefox and
> Thunderbird in safe mode just in case.  If none of the above makes any
> obvious difference, I'm out of ideas.

Here is my resolv.conf:
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 75.75.75.75
nameserver 75.75.76.76
nameserver 2001:558:feed::1

I added the nameservers a few hours ago. They are recommended by Xfinity.

Deluge and UMS continues to download and upload when the browsers and
Thunderbird don't. I didn't try Filezilla.

The browsers I have are Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, and Opera, they all
try to resolve host.

I'll wait and see if adding the namesevers made a difference.

--
Thanks,

Scott Blair

USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775

Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"

If you don't stand behind our troops,
feel free to stand in front of them.