Dependencies error

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sun Oct 4 10:52:16 UTC 2015

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 11:44:01 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:

> > ran

> > mate-desktop-environment-core

> > > Well, the problem already occurred. I already installed Mate and I use
> > it,
> > > but I can't install anything since I have that error thing, so I just
> > > wonder how to solve it.
> >
> > Have you got aptitude installed?
>

> I thought I had, but after checking I know now that I haven't...

Reading through a bit more carefully, it wouldn't have helped you
anyway. The conflicts here are just impossible to reconcile.

<snip>

> So it seems like MATE need those packages for some strange reason, is that
> right? Why would a desktop environment ever need an office suite??

That's just Wrong, IMO. I can't tell you why that is a hard dependency.

It seems you have to choose between MATE from that PPA and the version
of LibreOffice you have installed[1] :-/ MATE in 15.04 also has a hard
dependency on LO, so I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to run the
version of LO you want with MATE if you were to upgrade either.

All in all, these packages are all unsupported and from different
sources, so there's really not much of a mystery that they won't work
together.

Petter

[1] Yes, you could try to build dummy packages that fulfill the
dependencies or in another way convince the package database that they
are fulfilled, but I think this road will lead to heartache and terror.

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"