Dependencies error

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 09:44:01 UTC 2015

> ran
> > > the following lines:
> > >

> > > Might be too late, but this is how I install Mate on Ubuntu Server...
> > >

> > > sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/ppa
> > >
> > > sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/trusty-mate
> > >

> > > sudo apt-get update
> > >

> > > #Minimal install: (no un-needed services like Bluetooth, etc)
> > >

> > > sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends
> mate-desktop-environment-core
> > >

> > > sudo reboot
> > >

> > Well, the problem already occurred. I already installed Mate and I use
> it,
> > but I can't install anything since I have that error thing, so I just
> > wonder how to solve it.
>
> Have you got aptitude installed?

I thought I had, but after checking I know now that I haven't...

> It sometimes does a better job than
> apt-get at getting out of dependency hell since it uses different
> algorithms. Use that to try removing the package 'libreoffice', since
> that seems to depend on the rest of them.
>
> If that fails, you could try to gather a list of the LibreOffice
> packages that are installed and manually remove them with dpkg until
> the dependencies resolve and apt-get can fix the rest.

Thanks. I was not sure how to do that, but I did the following to get a
list:
apt --installed list LibreOffice*

I uninstalled everything I found except those LibreOffice packages I
installed manually (that is the ”vanilla” version installed with the deb
files found on LibreOffice’s site), so now only these are in the list:
libreoffice4.2/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-base/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-calc/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-debian-menus/now 4.2.6-3 all [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-dict-en/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-dict-es/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-dict-fr/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-dict-sv/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-draw/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-en-us/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-impress/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-math/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-sv/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-ure/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]
libreoffice4.2-writer/now 4.2.6.3-3 i386 [installed,local]

So, running the -f thing again gave this result:

~$ LANG=C !!
LANG=C sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
required:
  linux-headers-3.13.0-62 linux-headers-3.13.0-62-generic
  linux-image-3.13.0-62-generic linux-image-extra-3.13.0-62-generic
  libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base-core
libreoffice-calc
  libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gnome
  libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-impress libreoffice-math libreoffice-ogltrans
  libreoffice-pdfimport libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-style-human
  libreoffice-writer
Suggested packages:
  libreoffice-base libreoffice-style-crystal libreoffice-style-hicontrast
  libreoffice-style-oxygen libreoffice-style-sifr libreoffice-style-tango
  libreoffice-evolution crystalcursors kde-icons-crystal libreoffice-gcj
  libreoffice-java-common
  libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base-core
libreoffice-calc
  libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gnome
  libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-impress libreoffice-math libreoffice-ogltrans
  libreoffice-pdfimport libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-style-human
  libreoffice-writer
0 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 23.8 MB/70.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 267 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
~$

So it looks like it want to install these packages again!
When running the autoremove command (to get rid of those kernel things
mentioned), I get this:
~$ LANG=C sudo apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
 python3-uno : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:4.2.8-0ubuntu2) but it is not
installed
 ubuntu-mate-desktop : Depends: libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer but
it is not installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-calc but it is not installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-gnome but it is not installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-impress but it is not installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-math but it is not installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-ogltrans but it is not installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-pdfimport but it is not
installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-style-human but it is not
installed
                       Depends: libreoffice-writer but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
~$

So it seems like MATE need those packages for some strange reason, is that
right? Why would a desktop environment ever need an office suite??

Thanks for all suggestions anyway.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg