Excellent disc! or is it?????

iceblink iceblink at seti.nl
Thu Feb 5 09:35:13 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-04 23:38, thufir wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 14.10 and am trying to burn a disc.  Is this disc
> ok?
>
> thufir at doge:~$
> thufir at doge:~$ cdck -t -v
> Track list (1-1):
>   1: 00:02:00 (sec: 000000) data
> 170: 82:48:60 (sec: 372510) data (leadout)
>
> Disc status: data mode 1
> Multisession: 0
> Audio status: failed to get, reason: Input/output error
>
> Try to find out what sort of CD this is...
> CD-ROM with iso9660 fs
> iso9660: 727 MB size, label 'KIWI CD/DVD Installation        '
> Creating software: '0xc1c764e9'
> bootable CD
>
> NB! For disks written with some burners cdck might
>     report about unreadable sectors at the end of the disk.
>     In such cases you can just ignore those warnings.
>
> Reading sectors 1-372510
> 372508 ok
>
> CD overall:
>    Sectors total: 372510:
>    Good sectors: 372510:
>    Bad sectors (incl. with poor timing): 0
> CD timings:
>    Minimal = 0 usec (0.000000s)
>    Maximal = 31 usec (0.000031s)
>    Average = 0 usec (0.000000s)
>
> Conclusion:
>    Excellent disc!
> thufir at doge:~$
>

> I'm thinking that the problems I have with the disc relate to this
> error
> about the audio status -- otherwise, I can't find any error anywhere.
> Yet, this DVD, while it boots, then, after a splash screen, goes blank.
> It almost has to be the disc itself.  The md5sum of the .iso **and** of
> the disc itself check out fine.
>

> see also:
>
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/182988/

This disk is physically okay it seems.

cdck first tries to check an audio disc, gets an error, and then checks
if the disc is actually an audio disc.
It finds it is not an audio disc but an iso966o disc containing data,
and bootable too. All sectors are physically okay.

Which still does not mean the cd can actually be booted, it only means
that data from the disc can be read without errors. It says nothing
about the data contents.

Best regards,
Patrick