adobe reader and cups-bsd

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Wed Aug 5 16:21:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 10:13:33 -0500
Linda <haniganwork at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have Lubuntu 14.04 LTS and have installed adobe reader
> that has been working fine. Apparently a recent cups update
> has broken the printing as it gives an internal error
> message and says cups-bsd crashed. I'm wondering if there is
> a way to find the previous version of cups-bsd and install
> it to see if it will work. Not sure where you even look to
> find the old packages. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> Since you have to tinker to install reader with 14.04 I
> don't think it probably counts as a bug.

You can downgrade to the earlier version, since it is still in the
repos, or so I believe. All you need to do is specify the version
number. Determine what version the previous, working one was, and
append it to the package name on the apt-get command line.

You can also just grab the version you want from

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/c/cups/

and install it with dpkg, gdebi or similar. That should work as long as
you don't try to install anything that depends on versions of libraries
or other packages that are not available for 14.04.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"