adobe reader and cups-bsd

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:12:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 10:13:33 -0500, Linda wrote:

> I have Lubuntu 14.04 LTS and have installed adobe reader
> that has been working fine. Apparently a recent cups update
> has broken the printing as it gives an internal error
> message and says cups-bsd crashed. I'm wondering if there is
> a way to find the previous version of cups-bsd and install
> it to see if it will work. Not sure where you even look to
> find the old packages. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> Since you have to tinker to install reader with 14.04 I
> don't think it probably counts as a bug.
>                                       Thanks
>                                        Linda

[warning: you may need to turn off line wrap for this post]

'apt-cache show <packagename>' will display package information
from all versions beginning with the current version. However,
you can get a more concise list using the 'policy' or 'madison' options:

$apt-cache madison cups-bsd
  cups-bsd | 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.6 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main i386 Packages
  cups-bsd | 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.6 | http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main i386 Packages
  cups-bsd | 1.7.2-0ubuntu1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main i386 Packages
      cups | 1.7.2-0ubuntu1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main Sources
      cups | 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.6 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main Sources
      cups | 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.6 | http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main Sources

If you have the source repositories enabled, the madison output will include info for the source
package (cups) that cups-bsd was built from.

The previous version of cups-bsd is 1.7.2-0ubuntu1. You can use apt-get to install it:

$ sudo apt-get -s install cups-bsd=1.7.2-0ubuntu1

However, with downgrading a package you may need resolve dependency issues by downgrading other packages
as well. You'll either have to use trial and error or maybe a utility like apt-rdepends to map out
the dependencies.

If you go the trial and error route, I strongly recommend that you use apt-get's '-s' flag
to simulate the command execution before attempting downgrade. Once the command completes
error free, then remove the '-s' from the command line.

--
sktsee