Backups

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 16 16:59:27 UTC 2014

On Thursday 16 October 2014 11:22:36 Peter Goggin did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I need to backup my laptops to an external disk.  When I was using MS
> windows I used a program Karen' Replicator.
>
> Is there similar sort of program in ubuntu?
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Goggin

Have a look at amanda. Complex to setup the first time, but extremely
capable as it can treat the external drive as a series of virtual tapes.
I have been using it here, to a dedicated internal drive for several
years. That drive has also failed a couple times, both well beyond the
warranty, but the disk monitoring stuff gives you time enough to run to
town and get another so I have had no unrecoverable losses in almost 15
years now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)