dual boot 14.04 and 14.10

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 11:14:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014, Peter Teuben wrote:

> One always takes risks dual booting with a shared home directory between
> even as closely related versions as Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10.
>
> I have a few to report, as I'm trying to see if 14.10 is worth going to:
> Comments and other experiences welcome, I'll try and keep this thread
> alive with new experiences and solutions:

My twopence worth - xubuntu 14.10 crashed for me which is the first time of any
distro I have tried although I have been a xubuntu user since 6.10. Last night
I put 14.04 back on.

I think a home directory is best to forget (just use it for hidden and config
files)... especially if one is thinking of sharing with another distro. I use a
separate hard disc and then all work files are safely elsewhere which is a
waste of space e.g. my main hard drive is 500gb and I only use 10%. But then
hardly worth buying a smallest available like 180gb to replace it and use the
500gb for backup. I like the default setup that ubuntu have always had - one
main partition and an extended one for swap.

Thunderbird I have known problems with, also far too slow for imap - have used
Alpine and Mutt for a good while and wouldn't go back to a gui email client.
Alpine used remotely with gmail works well and convenient for html when
occasionally required.

james