dual boot 14.04 and 14.10

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Sat Nov 29 04:42:25 UTC 2014

One always takes risks dual booting with a shared home directory between
even as closely related versions as Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10.

I have a few to report, as I'm trying to see if 14.10 is worth going to:
Comments and other experiences welcome, I'll try and keep this thread
alive with new experiences and solutions:

1) in 14.10 the top bar does not report the date/time, no sound control
icon either

2) in thunderbird three of my five inboxes are gone.... they are still
in the
    preferences, just no on screen

On a perhaps positive note, digikam seems more stable. I had it crashing
pretty much
all the time in U14.04, upgraded many versions, now 4.5.0, but the 4.2.0
that
comes with U14.10 seems stable so far. It does have some nuisances, so
I'll try and
upgrade to 4.5.0 again.

In U14.04 at some point the expose images of chrome became often blank.
No other app did that.

 _peter